To formulate questions in Evidence Based Practice, use the PICOT format.
PICOT stands for:
- Population/ Patient Problem: Who is your patient? (Disease or Health status, age, race, sex)
- Intervention: What do you plan to do for the patient? (Specific tests, therapies, medications)
- Comparison: What is the alternative to your plan? (ie. No treatment, different type of treatment, etc.)
- Outcome: What outcome do you seek? (Less symptoms, no symptoms, full health, etc.)
- Time: What is the time frame? (This element is not always included.)
Your PICOT question will fall under one of these types:
The documents in the box on the left to find which level of research is appropriate for your type of PICOT question.